LEE & LOW BOOKS is a family-owned, independent children's book publisher specializing in diversity. Founded in 1991, our reputation for excellence in creating beautiful, award-winning children's books is accomplished through a staff of dedicated, talented, and innovative individuals who enjoy a team-oriented work environment. LEE & LOW is located in the heart of New York City where publishing thrives!
Because of the volume of submissions, we regret that we cannot respond to every resume upon receipt. We hold onto resumes for one year for review as positions become available. If a future opportunity complements your qualifications, we will contact you. Thank you for your interest in LEE & LOW BOOKS.
We offer the chance to work in an environment that is exciting, challenging, and offers the right candidate a way to contribute toward our mission of publishing books about everyone and for everyone. The position also allows for frequent interaction with other departments as well as the company's many authors and illustrators.
- Coordinating promotional materials, which include award submissions and review mailings to key publications and contacts
- Updating our website with book information and additional materials
- Contributing to the Lee & Low blog and other content marketing
- Maintaining our presence on various social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Pinterest
- Brainstorming, plus research projects to discover new and existing markets for our books.
- Conference/event planning/attendance (travel may be required)
- Corresponding with authors and illustrators and helping with author event planning
- Content creation, plus proofing and fact checking of our seasonal catalogs and other promotional materials
- Managing ebook sales and product metadata for distributors
- Becoming involved in the promotion of the company's mission.
The Marketing/Publicity Assistant reports directly to the Marketing & Publicity Director. Many of the tasks will require training, which we will provide.
Candidate should have a passion for children's books, and some publishing experience is a plus. A background in education is also a plus. Strong verbal/writing skills required. Must enjoy talking to and meeting new people as well as be comfortable on the phone. Experience with Apple computers, Photoshop, HTML, and/or social media helpful. Applicants must be organized, detail oriented, and able to work well independently and collaboratively. Applicants should also be able to multitask well. Must have a positive attitude and not be afraid to ask questions. This is for an in-house position in our New York office, telecommuters need not apply.
Salary & Compensation:
Please include your salary requirements. Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan and liberal vacation policy.
About our company:
LEE & LOW BOOKS is an independent publisher of high quality children's books that focus on diversity. We strive to tell stories that will make a difference in the lives of young readers. Founded in 1991, the majority of LEE & LOW's business is driven by the education and school library marketplace. We are based in New York City. For more information visit our website.
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: careers AT leeandlow.com
NO CALLS PLEASE. We will contact qualified applicants.
Educational Sales Associate
LEE & LOW BOOKS, along with imprints CHILDREN'S BOOK PRESS, BEBOP BOOKS, and TU BOOKS) is a successful independent publisher of award-winning children's books. Our company was founded in 1991 and we have established ourselves as an elite publisher whose catalog of 600+ books are well loved and respected by librarians, educators, booksellers, parents and children throughout the U.S. and across the globe. We are looking for a talented individual to engage our customers and contribute to the growth of our business. This position presents a chance to learn about the publishing industry and how to generate sales in the school marketplace through direct meetings with educators, including Principals, Assistant Principals, Literacy Coaches and Lead Teachers. Candidates must possess a desire to learn about the Education Market in order to stay abreast of what Educators are searching for, and being familiar with industry terminology and current trends. This will be accomplished through in-house training, field knowledge and continued professional development.
Requirements: Candidates should possess most of the following:
- The ideal candidate is an energetic, creative self-starter with exceptional organizational, analytical and creative thinking skills
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- Degree focused on Marketing, Business, or Education, a plus
- Strong Interpersonal Skills with eagerness to connect with your clients
- Excellent speaking voice and enthusiastic phone personality
- Polished, professional presentation skills
- Literacy Coaching, Staff Development, Teaching experience is a plus
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel, Internet Browsers, Email applications
- Comfort with smartphone and tablet technology and social media
Our office is conveniently located near Madison Square Park. We are seeking to hire for positions in:
- New York City (5 boroughs and Metropolitan area)
- New Jersey (Candidate would you need a car to travel to appointments, pick up materials, etc. Company would reimburse per current federal POV rates).
Competitive full-time salary along with commission earnings. Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan and generous vacation policy.
Contact: Craig Low, President
Email resume and cover letter to: careers AT leeandlow.com
or via fax at (212) 683-1894
| Open Book Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest |
Read about us in the New York Times
Learn about our mission
Marketing/Publicity Intern for Summer 2014
LEE & LOW BOOKS (along with imprints BEBOP BOOKS and TU BOOKS) is a successful independent publisher of award-winning children's books. Our books feature characters from diverse backgrounds and tell stories that make a difference in the lives of children and parents alike. Our first books were published in 1993, and today our children's books are well respected and found in schools, libraries, and bookstores nationwide.
Candidate will provide support for the Marketing & Publicity department. Tasks include but are not limited to researching and qualifying leads through mailings and web-based research and corresponding with reviewers. The intern will work closely with our marketing and web marketing departments, learning what it takes to publicize books, create and discover niche markets, and spread the word about our unique mission to publish children's books that all children can enjoy. In a small company such as ours you will gain a wide exposure to the world of independent publishing for children.
Requirements: Candidates should possess most of the following:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Filemaker Pro, and web research (will train).
- Administrative tasks will require candidate to be able to work well independently and budget time, resources and multiple projects efficiently.
- Experience with social media is helpful.
- Candidate should be organized, enjoy problem-solving and working in a busy, productive work environment.
- Interest in publishing and/or children's books a plus.
20 hours/week (part time)
New York City.
Unpaid but offers weekly stipend. Can be done for academic credit.
Contact: Hannah Ehrlich, Marketing & Publicity Manager
Email resume and cover letter to: publicity AT leeandlow.com