About the Award
TU BOOKS, the fantasy, science fiction, and mystery imprint of LEE & LOW BOOKS, award-winning publisher of children’s books, is pleased to announce the first annual NEW VISIONS AWARD. The NEW VISIONS AWARD will be given for a middle grade or young adult fantasy, science fiction, or mystery novel by a writer of color. The Award winner receives a cash prize of $1000 and our standard publication contract, including our basic advance and royalties for a first time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $500.
TU BOOKS was launched in 2010, dedicated to diversity in the beloved genre fiction market for young people. Morris Award nominee and Pura Belpré Award winner Guadalupe Garcia McCall’s Summer of the Mariposas and American Indian Youth Literature Award winner Killer of Enemies by Joseph Bruchac.
- The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States and who have not previously had a middle grade or young adult novel published
- Writers who have published work in venues such as children’s magazines or picture books, or adult fiction or nonfiction, are eligible. Only unagented manuscripts will be accepted.
- Work that has been published in its entirety in any format (including online and self publishing as well as other countries) is not eligible. Manuscripts previously submitted to TU BOOKS will not be considered.
- Manuscripts should address the needs of children of color by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another.
- Submissions may be fantasy, SCIENCE FICTION, or MYSTERY for children ages 12 to 18. Realistic stories without a mystery or speculative component will not be considered.
- Submissions should include a synopsis of the story plus the first five (5) chapters, accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any. Do not send the entire manuscript.
- Manuscripts should be printed in a clear 12-point font, double-spaced, on 8½" x 11" paper. Submissions will not be returned, so do not submit your only copy.
- Up to two submissions per entrant. Each submission should be submitted separately.
- Submissions should be clearly addressed to:
95 Madison Avenue, Suite 1205
New York, NY 10016
ATTN: NEW VOICES AWARD
- Manuscripts may not be submitted to other publishers or to TU BOOKS general submissions while under consideration for this award. TU BOOKS is not responsible for late, lost, or incorrectly addressed or delivered submissions.
Dates for Submission: Manuscripts will be accepted from June 1, 2014, through October 31, 2014, and must be postmarked within that period.
Announcement of the Award:
- Finalists will be announced and full manuscripts requested no later than January 31, 2015. If your full manuscript is requested, it must be received by TU BOOKS by Feb 20, 2015.
- Submissions will not be returned. Be sure to retain a copy of your submission.
- The judges are the editors of TU BOOKS and LEE & LOW BOOKS. The decision of the judges is final.
- The Award and Honor winners will be selected from among the full manuscripts requested and will be announced no later than April 15, 2015. At least one Honor winner will be chosen each year, but TU BOOKS reserves the right not to choose an Award winner.