Compound It All!: The compound word building game
By Kim and Danny Adlerman
Simple to learn, difficult to master!
Compound It All! is a compound word building card game that will expand your vocabulary, critical thinking skills, and even your math skills. This unique word-building card game can be used in the classroom, but is equally fun to play with friends and family.
Compound It All:
• Quickly and easily builds vocabulary
• Demonstrates in an accessible way how compound words work
• Offers multiple difficulty levels, making it great for differentiated instruction
• Can be played by both children and adults, and is equally enjoyable for all
• Expands to nine decks of varied difficulty levels, which can be used individually or in any combination.
• Teaches not only the concept of compound words but also positive and negative integers
• Makes learning FUN!
Basic game play:
Each player is dealt 5-7 cards depending on number of players and tries to build compound words, using words in their hand, draw & discard piles, and “stealing” words from opponents by making new compound words. Round ends when first person runs out of cards, but winner is determined by which player has the most points. Check out the complete instructions for more details.
Read more here to learn about the classroom and educational applications and corresponding Common Core State Standards.
From the Edison Metuchen Sentinel: "Couple Hopes New Card Game Generates 'Compound' Interest"
About the Creators
are a husband and wife author/illustrator/musician team. They hold degrees from, respectively, Boston University and the University of Buffalo. They are also publishing consultants, and have written and/or co-written several picture books for children. They live in Metuchen, New Jersey, with their children.