COLLTS PreK Curriculum from AIR: A research-based early childhood language and literacy program
Introducing the COLLTS PreK Curriculum from the American Institutes for Research
Cultivating Oral Language and Literacy Talents in Students (COLLTS) is a research-based early childhood curriculum from The Center for English Learners at the American Institutes for Research (AIR). A major goal of the Center for English Learners at AIR is to create the highest quality PreK curriculum to meet the needs of Dual Language Learners and that all children can benefit from. The COLLTS program is distributed exclusively by Bebop Books, an imprint of Lee & Low Books.
Through the use of interactive reading with outstanding children’s literature, this NEW program promotes the development of:
- foundational and pre-reading skills
- oral language proficiency
- background and conceptual knowledge
Targeting the critical ages of pre-Kindergarten, the COLLTS Bebop program consists of:
- six units in English and six units in Spanish
- each unit has five lessons centered around a children’s book (Note: Read alouds may be purchased separately)
- teaching guides
- writing activities
- picture cards with target vocabulary
- observational protocol for coaches
- bilingual family literacy take-home handouts
COLLTS lessons can easily fit into an ongoing early childhood program. Each teacher-directed component of a COLLTS lesson is 15 minutes long. Ten-minute center activities complement and extend the teacher-directed lessons.
The program is available in 3 kits:
The books were purposefully selected for their:
- literary and informational quality
- text type
- appeal to young children
- the extent to which their content aligns with the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework
Book bundles are available in:
There are titles in English and Spanish:
- Lola Loves Stories
- The Snowy Day
- The Paper Crane
- From Seed to Pumpkin
- Fernando’s Gift / El regalo de Fernando (bilingual edition)
- Over in a River: Flowing Out to the Sea
- A Lola le encantan los cuentos
- Un día de nieve
- El sol del verano
- Los pájaros de la cosecha
- Pescar es divertido
- Aligned with college and career readiness standards
- Easy to implement and integrate
- Builds in professional development
- Supports Dual Language Learners
- Field-tested and teacher-friendly
Bringing the COLLTS Bebop Program to You
Professional developers from the AIR Center for English Learners are available to come to your district or school to prepare your early childhood education teachers and/or coaches to implement the COLLTS program.
AIR offers one- or two-day training sessions to prepare teachers, coaches, and other staff to implement the COLLTS program. Follow-up coaching is also available.
The AIR and Bebop Books teams work closely with districts and schools to provide customized support that prepares instructional staff to meet the demands of high academic standards for English learners.
- Partnership: We take time to learn about a client’s needs and develop a customized support plan
- Implementation: We provide support to enhance curriculum and instruction and track progress
- Sustainability: We work with districts to develop plans for sustaining the work
Fill out our interest form and we'll be in touch!
Watch the Webinar: Best Practices for English Learners in PreK:
Evidence-based, Research-backed, Classroom-tested
In 2019, COLLTS was used in treatment classrooms to support Dual language learners' (DLLs') oral language development. The intervention consisted of teacher professional development; curricular materials that guided teachers in principles of effective instruction; interactive book reading, in which children are exposed to language in rich semantic contexts; and targeted skills instruction to build foundational literacy skills.
- Children who participated in the intervention showed significantly larger gains than children in control classrooms in three domains of oral language. These domains have consistently been shown to be developmentally sensitive and positively related to the bilingual reading achievement of DLLs
- The study demonstrates that an intervention can be easily integrated into preschool programming and result in significant improvements in children’s oral language, compared with children in control classrooms whose teachers did not receive COLLTS curriculum and training.
Learn more about the pilot and study findings here.
Watch the Webinar about Research findings here.
Lead Authors of COLLTS
The researchers who created the COLLTS method have decades of experience developing literacy curricula for bilingual students in the United States. These researchers are part of the Early Childhood Team at the Center for English Learners at AIR.
- Diane August, former Managing Researcher
- Ashley Simpson Baird, former Senior Researcher
- Rebecca Bergey, Senior Researcher
- Lauren Artzi, Researcher
- Alejandra Martin, Researcher
COLLTS Professional Development Offerings
The COLLTS professional development takes a job-embedded approach. We provide the COLLTS professional development to teachers and caregivers to familiarize them with the COLLTS methods and materials. Once they have had initial training and experience implementing the units, they are eligible for training that teaches them to create their own shared interactive reading units that use COLLTS methods. We offer training for coaches or administrators in the COLLTS methods and materials and ways they can support teachers in implementing COLLTS lessons. Coaches in turn can then provide support to teachers in using the program. We are also available organize and moderate planning and discussion about COLLTS as part of a site or school’s professional learning community (PLC).
Suggested Training Scenarios
Half day foundational training: This 3-hour, half-day foundational training introduces teachers to all the components of the COLLTS program, and gives teachers practice with using the program.
Full day foundational training: This 6-hour, full day training builds upon foundational training by providing additional support on how to integrate COLLTS into existing curricula and routines and the possibility for support in development of lessons using the COLLTS method.
Additional observation and coaching support can be added to any training package to support implementation.
For more information on these offerings, please contact Patricia Garcia-Arena at 312.690.7374 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Established in 1946, the American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that conducts behavioral and social science research and delivers technical assistance both domestically and internationally in the areas of education, health and the workforce. AIR’s work is driven by its mission to generate and use rigorous evidence that contributes to a better, more equitable world. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, AIR has offices across the U.S. and abroad. For more information, visit www.air.org.
About the Center for English Learners at AIR
The Center for English Learners at AIR is committed to reducing the achievement gap and improving outcomes for English learners by connecting rigorous research to policy and practice. In addition to professional development related to COLLTS, Center staff conduct research related to teaching and learning; perform policy studies; provide technical assistance to states and districts to enhance English language learning; and support schools in implementing Attaining Core Content for English Language Learners (ACCELL), the AIR research-based approach for supporting teachers with English learners in their classrooms.
About Bebop Books
Bebop Books offers leveled books that support literacy learning in guided reading and intervention settings—all with a strong commitment to diversity and cultural authenticity. Bebop Books provides the content and literacy opportunities you need to engage all children with authentic, effective learning experiences!
For full price and ordering information, or to receive a sample, contact us! Someone from our Educational Sales and Literacy team will get back to you shortly.
To order the COLLTS curriculum kits and books, please contact COLLTS@leeandlow.com.
To speak with the authors of the program or schedule professional development for your district and school, please contact email@example.com.
Fill out our interest form and we'll be in touch!
Sole Source: Our COLLTS Bebop Kits are offered exclusively by Bebop Books, an imprint of Lee & Low Books.
CERTIFIED MBE: Lee & Low Books is a certified 100% Minority Owned Business Enterprise (MBE)
Learn More about COLLTS PreK Curriculum from the American Institutes for Research
Check out the frequently asked questions about the AIR preschool curriculum.