New Visions Award for Authors of Color
About the Award
TU BOOKS, the middle grade and young adult imprint of LEE & LOW BOOKS, award-winning publisher of children’s books, is pleased to announce the fifth New Visions Award. The award will be given for a middle grade or young adult novel by a writer of color. Established in 2012, the NEW VISIONS AWARD encourages writers of color to submit their work to a publisher that takes pride in nurturing new talent. Winning submissions include Ink and Ashes by Valynne Maetani, published in 2015 and the recipient of an honor citation from the Asian/Pacific American Librarians Association Award for Literature; Rebel Seoul by Axie Oh, due for publication September 2017; and Ahimsa by Supriya Kelkar, due for publication October 2017.
- The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States, 18 years of age or older at the time of entry, and who have not previously had a middle grade or young adult novel published.
- Writers who have published work in other venues such as children’s magazines or picture books, or adult fiction or nonfiction, are eligible. Only unagented manuscripts will be accepted.
- Work that has been published in its entirety in any format (including online and self publishing as well as other countries) is not eligible.
- Manuscripts previously submitted for this award or to TU BOOKS will not be considered.
- Manuscripts should address the needs of children and teens of color by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another. Themes relating to LGBTQ+ topics or disabilities may also be included.
- Submissions may be any fictional genre novels or graphic novels for children ages 8 to 12 or young adults ages 12 to 18. We are particularly interested in literary fantasy and science fiction, but also welcome contemporary, historical, mystery, suspense, and genre fusions. Graphic novel scripts for these categories are also welcome. Nonfiction will not be considered.
- Submissions should be of full, unagented manuscript or graphic novel script plus synopsis. Manuscripts/scripts should be composed in a clear 12-point font, double-spaced, saved as a Word document, accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any.
- Middle grade novels are not to exceed 75,000 words in length; young adult novels are not to exceed 95,000 words in length.
- Graphic novels should not exceed 150 scripted pages. Include 6-10 pages of final art samples and optional character sketches in PDF format only if you are an author/illustrator.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- Up to two submissions per entrant. Each submission should be submitted separately.
- Submissions should be submitted online at tubooks.submittable.com/submit in the New Visions Award category. You will receive a confirmation email stating your submission was received.
- Manuscripts may not be submitted to other publishers, mentorship contests, writing contests, or to TU BOOKS general submissions while under consideration for this award.
- TU BOOKS is not responsible for late, lost, or incorrectly delivered submissions. Be sure you leave enough time to resubmit if technical difficulties occur.
Dates for Submission
Submissions will be accepted from June 1, 2017, through October 31, 2017, and must be submitted within that period. The submissions site will be only open from midnight, June 1, to midnight, Oct. 31. Please make sure to give yourself plenty of time to allow uploading.
The Award winner receives a cash prize of $1,000 and our standard publication contract, including our basic advance and royalties for a first time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $500.
Announcement of the Award
- Submissions will not be returned. Be sure to retain a copy of your submission.
- Judges are the editors of TU BOOKS and LEE & LOW BOOKS. The decision of the judges is final.
- The Award and Honor winners will be announced no later than April 30, 2018.
- For FAQ and previous winners, visit leeandlow.com/writers-illustrators/new-visions-award.
Help us spread the word! Download a printable PDF of the submissions guidelines to share with writers who may be interested.