Careers at Lee & Low
About the company: LEE & LOW BOOKS is the largest multicultural children's book publisher in the United States. We are committed to publishing culturally authentic diverse books that are about everyone and for everyone. Founded in 1991, we are family-owned and independent, which means we publish what we want and aren't afraid to take risks. Our books have won major awards including the Coretta Scott King Award, the Pura Belpré Award, the NAACP Image Award, and many more.
Lee & Low Books is an equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to diversity within our books is matched by a commitment to support a diverse and inclusive workforce behind the scenes. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply including those who identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or people of color; those who identify as disabled; and those who identify as LGBTQ+.
Data Management Analyst
We are looking for a talented, data-savvy individual to support multiple departments and contribute to the growth of our business. The ideal candidate will be a key resource for analytic best practices within Lee & Low Books and help ensure that our systems are creating high-quality, useful data.
The data management analyst will be responsible for facilitating the weekly flow of metadata and digital book assets to our distributors and partners and maintaining accurate product data across channels. In addition, the candidate will provide daily staff support, acting as the liaison between internal departments and external consultants and assisting with training, troubleshooting, technical support, and ad hoc requests. The candidate will also be responsible for managing data, streamlining the flow of information between departments, creating sales reports to aid in analyzing that data, and transforming it into information that informs company strategy.
Meticulous, curious, and detail-oriented, the Data Management Analyst would work closely with the Marketing, Sales, and the Operations teams. This candidate must be passionate about digging into data and understanding the stories that data tells. Candidates should be equally passionate about helping others solve problems, gain insights, and make decisions using data. The position presents an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry with room to grow.
Metadata Process Management
- Manage weekly delivery of book covers and e-book files to distributors
- Maintain clean, accurate product metadata for all Lee & Low titles
- Facilitate and troubleshoot distribution of product metadata to partners and distributors
Daily Staff Support
- Act as liaison between internal departments and external Amazon consultants
- Teach staff how to use data effectively
- Troubleshoot issues and act as technical support to staff
- Perform ad hoc analysis and data extraction requests
- Provide backup for Senior Data Management Analyst role
- Oversee CRM usage to ensure well-maintained and consistent database
- Assist staff in learning to use all available CRM applications
- Generate reports and analyze sales data for multiple departments
- Extract insights from data to improve the efficiency of company website, social media channels, and product sharing
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant professional experience, including financial reporting, data analysis, and/or web analytics
- Strong experience maintaining and analyzing large datasets, with high accuracy and obsessive attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, including proven ability to explain technical matters to laypeople
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to draw conclusions based on data
- Superb organizational and time management skills
- Strong copy editing skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Intellectual curiosity
- Employment eligibility to work in the US
- Experience with metadata, especially book metadata management
- Experience with CRM software (i.e. Zoho, Saleforce, etc)
- Experience with SQL, XML, and/or JSON experience preferred
- Experience with programming languages in low-code environment
This role is full-time and will report to our Senior Data Management Analyst.
Competitive salary and year-end bonus. Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan, and generous vacation policy.
How to apply: Please fill out this online form to submit your application.
We are looking for a talented individual to engage with our literacy partners, schools, and educators and contribute to the growth of our business. The position presents an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and to enable educators and literacy partners to discover best strategies for using LEE & LOW titles in the classroom and curriculum.
Candidates must possess a desire to learn about the Education Market for children’s books (from beginning readers through young adult books) and a willingness to become familiar with modern pedagogy and teaching strategies, industry terminology, and current trends. This will be accomplished through in-house training, field experience, and ongoing professional development.
This is a full-time, in-house position. The Literacy Specialist will report to the Vice President of Business Development, Curriculum & Literacy Strategy.
- The ideal candidate is an energetic, creative, inquisitive self-starter with exceptional organizational, analytical, and creative thinking skills
- Knowledge of current, effective K–12 practices in teaching, learning, and curriculum design
- Experience creating lessons and materials for diverse populations, including culturally diverse, ELL and ENL, and special needs
- 4-year college degree
- 2+ years of experience as a classroom teacher
- 1+ years of experience in instructional design, learning design, or curriculum design at an educational technology company, educational publishing company, or educational products company
- Strong interpersonal skills with eagerness to connect with educators and literacy partners
- Excellent writing abilities
- Polished, professional presentation skills
- The ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Create research-based educational resources that clarify, strengthen, and enhance book effectiveness
- Support and collaborate with Sales team on aligning our books to education customer needs and knowing state-level and district education initiatives
- Support authors, illustrators, award committees, distributors, and literacy partners on utilizing in-house educational content
- Create site-specific professional development for use with school and district sales
- Assist Senior Literacy Manager and Vice President of Business Development, Curriculum & Literacy Strategy in identifying education market needs and trends and providing insight as to how we can help serve the needs of educators
- Support Marketing team on investigating and engaging influential teachers, professional teaching organizations, and academic institutions to promote our education materials, managing those relationships, and exchanging best practices with the goal of promoting our books
- Engage and cultivate teacher partnerships through conferences, presentations, social media platforms (blogs, Twitter, educator-networking websites), and professional development webinar opportunities
- Provide knowledge of education and pedagogy trends to Sales, Marketing, and Editorial teams to show the educational applications of our books and their uses in the classroom
- Advise the Marketing team on constructing the company website with an education-focus and teacher-voice
Knowledge or experience that would be a plus:
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Literacy Coaching, Staff Development, Teaching experience
- Bachelor or Masters degree focused on Education
- Experience teaching or in curriculum development for secondary grades 6–12
- Experience with phonics and decodability for grades K–2
This position is currently remote and may be permanently remote for the right candidate, though applicants within or willing to move to the New York tri-state area are preferred. Remote candidates will also be considered. Our office headquarters is conveniently located in New York City near Madison Square Park.
Competitive salary along with bonus incentives. Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan, and generous vacation policy.
Please fill out the application form here. Note: You will be asked to submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (lesson plan or unit plan).