Careers at Lee & Low
Data Management Analyst
LEE & LOW BOOKS is the largest children’s book publisher specializing in diversity and multiculturalism. We have established ourselves as an elite publisher whose catalog of 800+ books are well loved and respected by educators, librarians, booksellers, parents, and children throughout the US and around the globe.
We are looking for a talented, data savvy individual to support our multiple departments and contribute to the growth of our business. The ideal candidate will be a key resource for analytic best practices within Lee & Low Books and help ensure that our systems are creating high-quality, useful data. Candidate will be responsible for managing data, streamlining the flow of information between departments, and creating sales reports. The candidate will also aid in analyzing that data and transforming it into information that informs company strategy. In addition, the data management analyst will be responsible for maintaining accurate product data across channels and facilitating the flow of metadata to our distributors and partners, as well as managing the distribution of Lee & Low’s digital book assets.
Meticulous, curious, and detail-oriented, this candidate would work closely with Marketing, Sales, and the Operations departments. The Data Management and Analyst Specialist must be passionate about digging into data and understanding the stories that data are telling. Candidates should be equally passionate about helping others solve problems, gain insights, and make decisions using data. The position presents an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and, as a newly created position, there is room to grow.
This is a full-time, in-house position. The Data Management Analyst will report to the President.
- Generate reports and analyze sales data for multiple departments
- Perform ad hoc analyses and data extraction requests
- Extract insights from data to improve the efficiency of our website and social media channels and product sharing
- Handle e-book distribution
- Maintain clean, accurate product metadata for all Lee & Low titles
- Facilitate and troubleshoot distribution of product metadata to partners and distributors
- Oversee usage of CRM to ensure a well-maintained and consistent database, and assist staff in learning to use all available CRM applications
- Teach others how to use data effectively
- Intellectual curiosity
- Strong experience maintaining and analyzing large datasets, with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant professional experience, including financial reporting, data analysis, and/or web analytics
- CRM experience preferred (i.e. Act!, Zoho, Salesforce ,etc)
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to draw conclusions based on data
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Superb organizational and time management skills
- Obsessive attention to detail and strong copyediting skills
- Excellent communication skills, including a proven ability to explain technical matters to laypeople
- Employment eligibility to work in the US
Our office is conveniently located in New York City near Madison Square Park.
Competitive salary and year-end bonus. Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan, and generous vacation policy.
Email a PDF of resume and cover letter to careers AT leeandlow.com, or send materials via fax to (212) 683-1894.
Diversity in Publishing Summer Internship
In response to the lack of diversity among publishing professionals, LEE & LOW BOOKS has established the Diversity in Publishing Internship for students from diverse backgrounds. Interns will provide support primarily for the Marketing & Publicity department but may work on cross-departmental projects as well. Interns will learn what it takes to market and publicize books, create and discover niche markets, and spread the word about our unique mission to publish children’s books that all children can enjoy. In a small company such as ours you will gain a wide exposure to the world of independent publishing for children.
Tasks include but are not limited to researching and qualifying leads through mailings and web-based research, corresponding with reviewers, handling review copy requests, tracking publicity mentions, assisting on book award submissions, and pitching marketing ideas.
This internship was established to bring more diverse voices to the publishing industry. The internship is open to:
1) People of color, defined as people of African/African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Latin American, Middle Eastern, or Native American/Indigenous descent
2) People who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer
3) People with disabilities
Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as Google Drive. Photoshop and social media experience a plus. Administrative tasks will require candidate to be able to work well independently and budget time, resources and multiple projects efficiently. Candidate should be organized, enjoy problem-solving and working in a busy, productive work environment. Interest in publishing and/or children’s books a plus.
P/T (15-20 hours per week), June - August. Internship is located at our office in New York City and candidate must be able to work from our office in person.
$13.00/hour (Note: We encourage candidates to also apply for the We Need Diverse Books Summer Internship Grant Program. More information here.)
LEE & LOW BOOKS is an award-winning, independent publisher of children’s book that focuses on diversity. The company was founded in 1991 and publishes picture books, middle grade, and young adult titles.
Applications are not being accepted at this time. Please check back in May 2019. Thank you.