Careers at Lee & Low
Educational Sales Assistant (Temporarily Suspended until Further Notice)
LEE & LOW BOOKS is the largest multicultural children's book publisher in the United States. We are committed to publishing culturally authentic diverse books that are about everyone, for everyone. Founded in 1991, we have always been family-owned and independent, which means we publish what we want and aren't afraid to take risks. Our books have won major awards including the Coretta Scott King Award, the Pura Belpré Award, the NAACP Image Award, and many more.
We publish multicultural children's books for every age, including leveled books for beginning readers, picture books, early chapter books, middle grade, and young adult books. We also publish a wide selection of bilingual and Spanish language books.
We are looking for a talented individual to support the efforts of the Educational Sales team and contribute to the growth of our business. The Educational Sales department works collaboratively with the Literacy and Curriculum team, so this position is not only an opportunity to help generate sales in the school marketplace, but to bring educational expertise into custom relationships with schools and districts around the country. This position presents a chance to learn about the publishing industry and how to generate sales in the school marketplace. Candidates must possess a desire to learn about the Education Market in order to know what schools are searching for, and be familiar with industry terminology and current trends. This will be accomplished through in-house training, field knowledge and continued professional development.
This is a full-time, in-house position. The Education Sales Assistant will report to the Educational Sales Manager.
Responsibilities include supporting Educational Sales team through:
- Knowing our titles, their curricular alignment, and educational trends they serve
- Creating customized lists and quotes for schools/districts based on scope and sequence plans, curricula, and standards
- Creating mailings, sales kits, and presentation materials for potential customers and partners
- Travelling as needed accompanying Sales team members to customer sites for meetings (including Principals, Assistant Principals, Literacy Coaches and Lead Teachers), presentations, and conferences
- Keeping our CRM updated with contact information and sales quotes
- Researching schools and districts to provide insights as to how we can help serve the needs of these schools based on grants, funding, and demographics
- Conducting outreach to School Administrators, Literacy Coaches, and Reading Specialists to introduce the company with the aim to foster meetings for our Sales team
- Submitting RFPs for states and districts
- Planning local, regional, and national conferences with the support of Marketing team
- Passion for bringing multiculturalism children’s books into the classroom
- Energetic, creative self-starter with exceptional organizational, analytical and creative thinking skills
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of current educational context and market trends
- Excellent speaking voice and enthusiastic personality
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal skills
- Demonstrable experience working in collaboration and across teams
Desired Additional Qualities:
- Teaching, Classroom experience, Degree focused on Education, or related field
- 1+ years of experience in sales at an educational technology company, educational publishing company, or educational products company
- Experience using CRM tools
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Access to car or has a valid driver’s license
Our office is conveniently located in the heart of Manhattan’s Flatiron district near Madison Square Park.
Competitive full-time salary along with bonus incentive.
Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan, and generous vacation policy.
How to Apply:
Email a PDF of your resume and cover letter to: careers [at] leeandlow [dot] com. No calls please.
Marketing & Publicity Assistant (Temporarily Suspended until Further Notice)
Summary: The Marketing & Publicity Assistant supports a small team in all aspects of book promotion for a highly regarded independent publisher specializing in diversity. This role offers experience in many different types of marketing and publicity, with a focus on the school and library markets.
Are you someone who has the uncanny ability to boil an entire book down to one single, succinct sentence that makes people say, “I want to read that—give that to me!”? Are you passionate about children’s books and diversity? Lee & Low Books has an opening in our marketing and publicity department. This department is tasked with the goal of getting our books on readers’ radar. The ideal candidate has the ability to convey excitement about diverse books online through our social media channels and in person at book festivals and trade conferences; shrinking violets need not apply.
It has been said that a year at Lee & Low goes by like blink of an eye—this is called Lee & Low time. This is a busy department with a lot on its plate, so if you have trouble juggling many different projects and deadlines this is not the job for you. However, if you are the buoyant type of person who loves organization, building systems, and relationships that result in a job well done—someone who cares as much about the small details as the big picture—you might be a good fit for us and we might be a good fit for you.
- Planning and attending conferences and local book festivals (some travel required)
- Award submissions and review mailings to key publications and contacts
- Author and illustrator event planning and support
- Maintaining author relationships
- Social media and blog content development
- Website maintenance
- Email marketing
- E-book and wholesaler seasonal updates
- Seasonal catalog and brochure work
- Coordinating the creation of promotional materials
- Pitching media and building relationships with key reviewers
- Brainstorming, plus researching new and existing markets for our books
This role will report to our Marketing & Publicity Manager and is based in our New York City office.
- Prior internship experience in book publishing and/or demonstrated interest in children’s books preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Photoshop knowledge a plus
- Proficiency with major social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
About the company: LEE & LOW BOOKS is the largest multicultural children's book publisher in the United States. We are committed to publishing culturally authentic diverse books that are about everyone and for everyone. Founded in 1991, we are family-owned and independent, which means we publish what we want and aren't afraid to take risks. Our books have won major awards including the Coretta Scott King Award, the Pura Belpré Award, the NAACP Image Award, and many more.
Compensation: competitive full-time salary along with bonus incentive. Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan, and generous vacation policy.
How to apply: Send your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, via email to careers [at] leeandlow [dot] com. Please indicate "Marketing Assistant" in the subject line and attach your resume as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment. No calls please.