Author and Illustrator Visits
Virtual Author Visits
In light of COVID-19, many authors and illustrators are available to do virtual visits with your classroom, school, or library. This is a great way to maintain student engagement and excitement for reading, and can be a powerful addition to a book or author study. Virtual author visits can be tailored to fit your needs and budget.
For tips and best practices for planning a virtual visit, visit this blog post.
Browse our list of authors and illustrators who do virtual visits:
Bring a LEE & LOW Author or Illustrator into Your School
Many of our authors and illustrators are available for school, library, and bookstore events around the country. Lee & Low authors and illustrators offer a wide variety of workshops, talks, and events, both in person and virtually, and can work with a range of budgets. If you would like to bring a book creator into your classroom or library, please get in touch with us and we will help you find the right fit for your needs.
If you would like to set up a virtual or in-person school, library, or bookstore event, please contact Hannah at hehrlich AT leeandlow DOT com. Some questions to consider:
- What is your budget for this event? Authors charge a wide range of honoraria for their visits. You should expect to cover travel expenses plus an agreed-upon honorarium for any visit you are planning.
- Are you looking for someone local? We have authors and illustrators who live all over the country. If you would like to bring someone in but do not have the budget to cover extensive travel costs, we can help you find someone local.
- What kind of visit do you want? Do you want someone who will do a series of small workshops, or someone who can present to your whole school at once? An in-person visit or a virtual visit? How old will your students be?
- What kind of author or illustrator do you want? We have authors and illustrators from a wide variety of backgrounds and can help you find the right fit for your school.
- What is your timeline? Do you have a set date or are you flexible? Many authors book visits several months in advance. Start planning your visit as early as possible to minimize the chance of a date conflict with your author or illustrator of choice.
Ordering Books for Author Events
We encourage schools and libraries to order books in advance of any scheduled visit so students have time to familiarize themselves with the author or illustrator's work. This leads to a more meaningful visit for both students and book creators. LEE & LOW BOOKS offers special discounts on books ordered for author visits. Please contact us at publicity AT leeandlow.com for ordering information.
Additional Resources for Setting Up an Author Visit
- Tips for a Successful Event
Ten tips to help you plan and execute a successful author or illustrator visit.
- Where Our Authors and Illustrators Live
Looking for someone local? This list of authors and illustrators is organized by state, so you can see who's in your area.
- Skype Virtual Author and Illustrator Visits Program
Virtual visits are a great way for you to expose your students to the minds behind the books without breaking your budget.