Multicultural Appendix B Supplement
When the Common Core Standards were created, the authors included a list of titles in Appendix B that exemplified the level of text complexity found in Appendix A and inherent quality for reading materials at each grade level. This list was intended as a comparative tool, as a way for teachers and administrators to measure current libraries against countrywide expectations for rigorous literature and informational text. Since its publication, this list, and the titles included and omitted, has created quite a bit of controversy.
Two things are fairly obvious when considering the texts included in Appendix B:
- Most of the titles were first published decades ago.
- Most of the titles do not reflect the backgrounds and experiences of the majority of children in classrooms today including by race, gender, class, language, ability, family background, and more.
Two things are also fairly important when constructing a classroom library and when selecting texts for instruction:
- Students should have the opportunity to be exposed to both classic and contemporary literature as well as nonfiction texts.
- All students should have the opportunity to see themselves reflected back, as well as to be exposed to cultures and experiences that may differ from their own, in the literature and nonfiction texts we study.
To provide a more diverse portrayal of the world we live in and the opportunity for students to discover their story in a book, contact us for our Multicultural Appendix B Supplement collections, curated by literacy experts, for grades K–1, 2–3, 4–5, 6–8, 9–10, and 11–12.
All Multicultural Appendix B collections include:
- Award-winning, culturally authentic books for each level
- Both fiction, poetry, and nonfiction titles to engage all types of readers for independent reading and read alouds
- Digital copies of all lesson plans and Teacher’s Guides
- One copy of every title
Our sales and literacy specialists will work with you and your team to create and tailor your Multicultural Appendix B collections to your curriculum and literacy initiatives at no additional cost—incorporating reading levels, demographics, standards, core curriculum, and your students’ interests and needs.
Together with meeting the demands of education standards, Bebop Books aims to reflect and celebrate today’s classroom and the uniqueness of each student. Our Multicultural Appendix B collections offer a balance of gender, race, cultures, and family dynamics, with an emphasis on cultural authenticity and high-quality literature. Our list of creators includes many award-winning authors and illustrators of color.
All of our collections come with free, downloadable lesson plans and teacher's guides. Developed by educators, our extensive, classroom-tested guides provide a wealth of practical, comprehensive ideas for motivating readers and guiding their development of effective reading strategies. We offer scripted lesson plans for books in guided reading levels A–J, including strategies for building background schema, preparing students for close reading, and fostering meaningful discussion (see an example). Our Teacher's Guides for guided reading levels K–Z offer strategies for expanding students' vocabulary and comprehension, encouraging student reflections in writing, facilitating home-to-school connections, and much more (see an example).
Our curation team includes certified educators who research and select titles based on your team and district’s specifications. Please email us at email@example.com or call us at 212-779-4400 option 3 for more details.
For full price and ordering information, or to receive a sample, contact us! Someone from our Educational Sales and Literacy team will get back to you shortly. Fill out our quick online form or contact us at:
Phone: 212-779-4400 option 3
Additional popular resource: Classroom Library Questionnaire
For further reading, please check out:
- How Common Core’s book choices fail children of color
- Choosing the World Our Students Read
- What’s in your classroom library? Rethinking Common Core Recommended Texts
- 8 Strategies to Help Educators Explain Lexile and Invest Stakeholders
- 5 Strategies to Help Parents Navigate Lexile
- 7 Strategies to Help Booksellers and Librarians Navigate Lexile